This week we needed to come up with a project idea for evaluation. We could choose any program either personal or education related that could be evaluated.
Here is the beginning of my idea:
My basic project idea is to evaluate one of the projects in the Academic Service Learning Program at Clarkston Community Schools. The program is called “Reading Buddies”. I am familiar with the program as I had helped with it a few years prior. In this particular program, middle school students are partnered with 3rd graders in order to help them learn Reading and Writing strategies. The students learn the strategies, how to teach the strategies, create bookmarks for the 3rd graders (cost is offset by school) and then visit with 3rd grade students over the course of 6 weeks to teach and practice these strategies.
The goals of the “Reading Buddies” program include:
* To connect teachers and students with the community through service projects
* To instill positive citizenship values in students
* To teach Reading and Writing strategies curriculum through hands on service projects
The objectives of the evaluation include:
* To determine the effectiveness of the program through R&W strategies curriculum mastery of middle school students
* To determine the effectiveness of the program through R&W strategies curriculum mastery of 3rd grade students
* To determine the effectiveness of the program through citizenship values learned by students
* To determine the effectiveness of the program through reflection of teachers, administration and parents
Even though school is out, I still have access to the data obtained from teachers through assessments of their student knowledge at two different points in the 6 week program as well as reflection pieces written by the students at the conclusion of the program that identify what they learned from the program. I also have direct contact with the administration and teachers involved, so the information should be fairly easy to obtain.
I asked for some assistance on whether or not my goals and objectives were clear enough and from the responses I received, I think I may need to revise and edit these as I progress further.